Looking for a greater challenge in your climbing visits to the gym? Looking to ratchet up the excitement? Grab the Sharp End of the rope! The Indoor Lead Climber course will teach you the skills required to safely climb on lead. When you can confidently climb 5.9 and are ready to advance your climbing to the next level, this class will give you access to the lead-only routes in the gym and provide a gateway to climbing outside. The main focus of the class is on basic lead climbing and belaying skills with some discussion on more advanced practices. Students should be prepared to climb and belay during class; climbing shoes, harness and ATC style belay device are required. Rope will be provided.
***Please Note*** Completion of this course will not qualify you to safely and successfully climb lead routes outdoors.
Due to the increased risk of lead climbing, this course alone may not be enough instruction for all students. See details on the supplemental course below.
We will teach you:
- Belaying: how to spot and belay a lead climber
- Leading: how to climb on the sharp end of the rope safely and efficiently
- Clipping: how to avoid back clipping and Z-clipping, and how to clip efficiently in a variety of positions
- Falling and catching a fall: how to safely take a fall and how to provide a soft catch
|This class is designed for:||5.9 or higher climbers*|
|Max ratio:||6 Climbers : 1 Instructor (2 person minimum)|
|Dates offered||Every second and fourth Tuesday of the month from 7:00pm to 10:00PM|
|Suggested Prerequisites:||Intro to Climbing (101)|
|Prices (per climber):||$85 ($72.25 for members**)|
|Supplemental Training Class:||$35/person, M-Th 6pm to 7pm, reservation required. This is an opportunity to practice lead skills. It is offered to anyone who has failed their lead test or needs to practice more before they take it. A minimum of 2 students is required or one student and an already certified lead climber.|
* All lead class participants must be a 5.9 or higher climber at MetroRock (climb 5.9's with out falling or weighting the rope). They must also be top rope certified at MetroRock, or be able to pass a MetroRock top rope test with an ATC-style belay device. If any participant is not able to climb at this level or not able to belay comfortably with an ATC, they will be restricted to only watching the class and that NO REFUNDS will be given in this situation.
**Members include annual, month-to-month, semester, and single month memberships. Punchcards and promotional memberships, such as those purchased through Groupon, are not included
Refund policy: If you need to cancel an event, we offer a full refund if the cancellation occurs 21 days or more before the event. If you are altering your booking within that period, we are happy to offer a credit for use at MetroRock, minus the deposit. We will not offer a refund for no-shows or cancellations within 48 hours before the event.