MetroRock's foremost priority is to provide a safe environment for climbing center users and staff. We will not compromise on safety issues. It is our view that safety is best served by providing access to high-quality, patient instruction. We also strongly emphasize personal responsibility and require that each participant sign a waiver acknowledging that personal responsibility and releasing MetroRock from liability. We take lead belaying and lead climbing very seriously, and we continually institute policies to ensure safety in this area.
Personal Responsibility. Participants are informed that rock climbing - and lead climbing in particular - does involve risk and that all climbers and belayers must be willing to take personal responsibility for their own safety as well as that of their partner.
Outlined below are climbing and general policies adhered to at MetroRock. It is your responsibility to be informed about these policies, which may change from time to time.
- In order to provide a visual safety verification all roped climbers and belayers must display their membership badge or day pass while climbing.
- No one under the age of 14 is allowed to belay unless permission is granted by MetroRock management.
- All belayers and climbers must pass a belay test administered by MetroRock staff.
- Boulderers are NOT permitted to "Topout" on boulders unless so stated on problem placards.
- Climbers must tie in using the rewoven figure eight knot with a double fishermans backup knot.
- In addition to the belay test, all lead climbers and belayers of lead climbers must pass a lead test administered by MetroRock staff.
- Belayers must belay from their harness and not from a fixed anchor point.
- Lead climbers must provide their own UIAA approved rope (minimum 9.5mm) and the rope must pass an inspection by MetroRock staff.
- Allowable belay devices include “tubular type (ATC)” devices and Gri-Gri’s.
- No sitting or lying down while belaying.
- No loose chalk.
- Route setting shall be performed only by those authorized by MetroRock.