learn to climb
The Learn to Climb course is a comprehensive introduction to indoor climbing. It starts with the same material included in the Basic Top Rope Climber course, but adds technique, climbing practice, and personalized feedback on each student’s climbing skills. We also orient you to the gym and provide you with the understanding of our grading systems and the different types of climbing that you can do in the gym.
We will teach you:
- Equipment: how to use a harness and belay device
- Knots: tying in with a figure 8 follow-through, plus a fisherman’s backup
- Belaying: using a locking carabiner and ATC to confidently keep your climbing partner safe
- Commands: how to communicate with your climbing partner
- Bouldering: have fun staying close to the ground
- Technique: using balance, flexibility, and strength to move up a face
- After taking this course, most students can safely pass the MetroRock belay check, necessary to climb in the gym
Courses can be arranged outside of normal schedule any day with advance notice, please contact us for scheduling.
MetroRock offers a variety of instructional programs for climbers at all levels. Beginners and advanced climbers alike will find options for both indoor and outdoor instruction to improve their technique and/or learn new skills. For more information please select a category below:
Please note that all classes a reservation.